The Cardington-Lincoln Public Library has a proud history of growth and expansion dating back to 1830 in the Resley House on Main St. where Slocum Bunker was the first librarian. Gertrude Mack, former Library director, noted in the Library's historical archive that "about 1896, several prominent ladies of Cardington established a Library in a room over the Independent Office on South Marion Street."
In 1947, the Library moved to its present location which was purchased from Mr. and Mrs. Howard Conaway. An addition to the rear of the building was given by Arthur and Martha Kinsell in 1979. The library was heavily damaged in a tornado in 1981 and rebuilt. Two more additions were added before the end of the century.
A major renovation of the Library came with the purchase of the former Hall Building at 126 East Main Street and annexed to the current property. The facility formally opened in 2003. An access lift was added to that property in 2005. The most recent renovation occurred in 2010 following extensive flooding in meeting room 128.